Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Review: Eagle of the Ninth

Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff, young adult book.

Five stars!

In this tale that takes place in ancient Roman history, the Ninth Legion marches into the wilderness of Britain and never returns. A young, former Roman commander takes it upon himself to rescue the Eagle standard of the Ninth Legion, for as long as the Eagle is recovered the spirit of the Legion lives on. And he'll need the most unexpected of people to help him on his quest. The plot moves along at a lively pace particularly in the second half of the book. I highly recommend this historical fiction novel for anyone studying Roman history.

reviewed by Belinda Z., age 13

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Belinda. I read this book when I was your age. I'm 60 now. But I just wanted to say that I never forgot the book; such an interesting, historical story. I recall it had mystery, war, and good friendship among unlikely people - a master and his slave. I thought it was wonderful and would like to read it again. It is nice to see that this book has withstood the test of time and hasn't become too old-fashioned to read.